Thursday, January 5, 2012

Scorched Earth Policy

Not paying any sort of attention to what was happening around me, I burnt a pan of cookies as I was setting up this blog. A simple-assed pan of cookies.

I need to get back on my game of cooking and creating dishes beyond my standard skill-set. I miss the feeling of standing in a walk-in, staring at racks of random ingredients and thinking: "What the fuck am I going to make with this?"

I left my position in a professional kitchen close to six months ago to persue a career in small batch, hand crafted barbecue sauce and creative barbecue catering. I also sell seafood at a large grocery store. Bills need to be paid, after all.

As of right now, there are no immediate plans to return to a professional kitchen until it is my own. So, probably like, never. But, I know that food is always going to be with me in some way, shape or form. (Even though I'm burning with a desire to omit that last stupid sentence, I'm going to leave it in. Fucking obviously food will always be with me. A: You need it to live. B: I live in America, where there is no shortage of food.)

If there is going to be a point to any of this nonsense, it is to discover, write about, and share food experiences with you. I plan on traveling around, eating at places I've never eaten at before. Both abroad, and right in my own backyard. I can think of three spots right down the road, right off the top of my head. And, they are quite tempting. Especially since the whole house now smells like burnt cookies.

Unless it is to relate a story of human ineptitude or abject hilarity, I won't feature any reports from chain restaurants. I'm no snob in regards to food. But, I'm pretty sure we all know what a drunken, 3 a.m. Taco Bell run is like.

So, it's a new year. And, this is a new blog. I'll keep you updated as to when things happen. I'll also add photos when I learn how to be a part of the 21st Century.

Life's too short for superstitions regarding food. Eat Everything. Even if it kills you.

No comments:

Post a Comment